Monday 29 November 2010

Analysis of previous student work

All The Rage – Funeral For A Friend



Overall I believe this a good music video but it has some points that could be improved. I think that the variety of shots and shot types used was very good, for example the low angle shot of the actor jumping over the camera and the rotating close up of the singer. Another shot I thought was good was the one from inside the locker looking at the actor as he opens it. I also think that the opening time lapse shot moving through the corridors and such is a good idea but the shot was held for too long so lost it’s impact. I also think that some other shots were repeated too much or held for too long such as the long shot of the whole band on stage.

The performance aspect of this video was good throughout from the singer and the drummer, however it some parts of the song the guitarist and bassist seem to lack energy made it look a bit static and not like a proper performance. I think the syncing was done pretty well throughout, it maybe a little bit off during the backup vocal parts, but not noticeably.

The editing is pretty smooth throughout and the video flows well. The cuts on the beat work well as well. The lighting is also good throughout; the use of the stage lights for the band performance creates appropriate lighting. Although I think the shot when the actor is “punching” the camera on the floor seems to be slightly darker than the shots immediately before and after. This probably could have been brightened in postproduction but doesn’t affect the video greatly.

By looking at this video I believe that it is important for us to not hold shots for too long when filming and also to make sure the whole band put on a believable and energetic performance.


Just A Day – Feeder




I think this video uses quick jump cuts and other editing very well. The small jumps in time in the footage fit with the beat of the music. I also think that the lyrics and the visuals are linked very well with lots of things throughout the song such as the actor getting out of bed when the clock says 12:00 and a line in the song is “waking up at twelve”, and when the main character is in the bar and the lyric is “all by myself” he is seen sitting in the corner alone. I also really like how the video almost returns to its starting point and the end, showing a complete loop that fits well with the song’s title “Just A Day”.

I also like how the video is cut really well on the beat, especially in the last 5seconds or so as the music ends with the sped up bit. The majority of this video appears to be handheld footage, which I believe fits the narrative in the video well and is therefore not over used. One area I think that needs to be improved I think would be the lighting in some of the shots such as when the actor is sitting at the bar as although it is still bright enough to see what is happening I think that there is a considerable difference in the brightness between this shot and the shots before and after this meaning I think it seems a little out of place.

By looking at this video I believe that it is important for the lyrics to link to the visuals during the narrative and also for the cut on the beat to be done to a high standard.


Hectic - Enter Shakari




The opening shot of the music video is a really clever idea and I think the shot itself is a brilliant shot, however I think the timing is slightly off which kind of makes it seem a bit like a rough cut. I think the contrast of black and white to colour footage works really well, especially on the first shot of the piano playing its solo part. I think that the uses of slow motion really work in this music video, even for the sequences such as the singer dancing which aren’t related to the lyrics but fits the beat of the music really well.

The band also all put on a good performance; especially the guitarist who really makes the video look like professional and his energy shows enthusiasm and commitment to the video. However I think the performance of the singer in the shots when he is not on the stage could be improved as his lip syncing looks a bit fake at times, almost as if he is just talking the words and not singing.

The editing is done really well, the timings for the band’s performance is almost perfect throughout and the cut on the beat is done exceptionally well towards the ending of the song. One shot however I would say is an exception to this is where the camera pans around the drums, although this is a good shot, the drum playing seems different to what is heard. Also, the time lapse shot of the singer standing watching the street seems a bit out of place in my opinion but as it is still a good shot I don’t think it affects the overall look of the video.

By looking at this video I think that it is important for us to use black and white editing appropriately and make sure it is not overused, and also we must make sure that we use slow motion shots appropriately and we don’t drag them out for too long.

1 comment:

  1. Good considerations of stategies that you can use to help you avoid the mistakes made in these videos.

    ReplyDelete